Territorial administration of Lebanon  |  Lebanon  |  Aakkar Governorate  |  Aakkar District

Tikrit

- last updated :

Tikrit is a Lebanese local authority which is located in Aakkar District (Qada'a), an administrative division of Aakkar Governorate (Mohafazah).

Location

Distance from Beirut Altitude (meters) Surface (ha)

Municipality address

Sources : Office of the Minister of State for Administrative Reform (OMSAR)
Phone Number Fax Number E-Mail Web sites

Données électorales

Sources : Ministry of Interior and Municipalities (Republic of Lebanon)
Données électorales 2010
Registered voters Effectifs du conseil municipal Effectifs moukhtar
Données électorales 2016
Registered voters Effectifs du conseil municipal Effectifs moukhtar

Education

Sources : Central Administration of Statistics (Lebanese Presidency of the Council of Ministers) - Office of the Minister of State for Administrative Reform (OMSAR)
Educational establishments (2006) Public Private Students schooled in the public schools Students schooled in the private schools

Higher Educational Institute Public Private

Origin of the name

There are three arguments regarding the origin of the village name. One considers it Syrian, meaning sorrow; the second attributes it to drilling lands; and the third argues the name was originally “Krit”, meaning dividing. It is suggested that this was a reference to the village’s geographic location, as it is isolated from other towns.

Location

Tikrit is situated in the Akkar caza, in the mohafaza of North Lebanon (or in the Akkar mohafaza according to the new administrative divisions).The village, which covers an area of 600 hectares and is situated 130 km from Beirut, stands at an altitude of 600m above sea level, and can be reached by taking the following route: Tripoli - Halba - Adbel and Jibrael.

Population

Tikrit’s registered population is estimated at 7,000, though only 60% of those people reside there. There are around 500 households in Tikrit, most of which are luxurious palaces. However, other small homes indicate that many residents suffer from poverty. The majority of residents are Sunni (95%) and the remaining (5%) are Greek Orthodox.

Number of voters

There are 3,380 registered voters, mainly distributed among the following families:

- Taleb: 260

- Gheih : 240

- Zakariya: 220

- Al Ali: 190

- Ne’aman: 160

- Deeb: 137

- Abdallah: 124

- Awad: 122

- Khalil: 120

- Mohammad: 113

- Ayoub: 113

- Rustom: 100

- Shami: 95

Other small families include: Sassine, Jreij, Daoud, Hussein, Ahmad, Ibrahim, Assaad, Abdo, Yehya, Rifai and Mahmoud.

Local authorities

The village has a municipal council with fifteen members. It also has three mayors and three mayoral council members. Revenues from the Independent Municipal Fund from 1997 to 2002 amounted to approximately LBP 1 billion ($663,570), distributed as follows:

- 1997: LBP 165.622 million ($109,900)

- 1998-1999: LBP 348 million ($230,922)

- 2000: LBP 144.644 million ($95,981)

- 2001: LBP 270.472 million ($179,477)

- 2002: LBP 250.025 million ($165,909)

Educational institutions

There are a number of public and private schools in Tikrit:

- Tikrit Co-ed Public School: 227 students
- Arwa Wothqa School: 374
- Lycee de Village: 170
- Islamic Shamael School

Economic activity

Agriculture used to constitute the major source of income for Tikrit residents, with the village’s fertile land and abundance of water for irrigation. However, water problems and poor economic activity led many residents to take up employment in other sectors, such as handicrafts.

As many village residents emigrated and sent money back to their families, a large number of homes have been renovated. Many of the residents who remained in the village are presently employed in the public sector, mainly in the armed forces.

Sites

Various archeological sites can be found in the village, the most important of which is the center for the Greek Orthodox Archbishop. This center, which dates back to the 17th century, has now become a sanctuary for St. John. The village is also home to a shrine for Sheikh Abdallah.

Tikrit’s Road network map :

Tikrit’s Map of desertification risk :

Tikrit’s Map of rivers and springs :